A.J. Casson: Old Store at Saalem
A.J. Casson (Canadian, 1898–1992) Old Store at Salem, 1931
Alfred Joseph Casson (Canadian, 1898–1992) began his art career as a freelance commercial designer in Toronto, where he met and worked with Franklin Carmichael. The two shared an interest in watercolours and went on sketching trips together, and would later found the Ontario Society of Painters in Watercolour with Frederic Brigden.
Casson was invited to join the Group of Seven painters in 1926. He accepted, becoming the youngest member. He established his own voice within the Group by choosing small towns and rural settings as subjects for his paintings, and enjoyed a long career as a respected artist. Casson died in 1992 at the age of ninety-four and is buried alongside other Group members in the cemetery on the McMichael Canadian Art Collection’s gallery grounds.
The roiling, purplish sky in this painting contrasts with the stillness of the street and storefront—which is probably closed for business as dusk approaches.
Thoughtfully conceived and engagingly intricate, Pomegranate’s 1,000-piece jigsaw puzzles combine superb colour reproduction, stunning and unusual images, and sturdy construction to delight generations of novice and veteran puzzle workers.
- Gather with family and friends for puzzle-piecing together!
- Pomegranate luxury puzzles are crafted with attention to every detail
- High-quality 250-GSM matte art paper for superior color, crisp details, and no glare
- Ribbon-cut thick board for snug fit and minimal dust
- Produced using thick recycled paper board
- Exclusive selection of art from museums and artists around the world
Published with the Art Gallery of Ontario
Box size: 10 x 13 x 1.875 in.
Puzzle size: 25 x 20 in.
Manufacturer recommended age: 12 and up
⚠️Warning – Choking Hazard:
Small parts. Not for children under 3 years of age